Letting Go

Ever since I first learned about the power of intention, I have been experimenting with it in my life, in terms of using intent to bring into my life that which I would like to have in my life. I must admit, the results have been, at times, frustratingly inconsistent. When it comes to manifesting small things that I would like to see happen in my life on a daily basis, I have been overwhelmingly successful. But, on the other hand, when it comes to manifest the “larger” things in life, I have often found those things taking a much longer time than I intend for them to take before they come into my life. It is only now, after many years of experimenting with intent that I have come to understand why this is.

Ordinarily, when people think about praying for or intending certain inconsequential things to come to them, they are detached from its manifesting. For example, if you are intending to manifest a small amount of cash in order to be able to see a show or go out on a date, then you are relatively detached about receiving that small amount of cash because you realize that being able to do these types of things (concerts, dates, etc.) aren’t really so relevant in terms of the more pressing concerns that we all face in life (bills, gainful employment, adequate transportation, maintaining your health, taking care of loved ones, and so on). Thus, when it comes to attempting to manifest these things, there tends to be a sense of attachment to these things manifesting, as we perceive them to be somehow more important than the smaller things of life like, for instance, concerts and dates. And, it is this very perception of difference of scale of different experiences that life has to offer to us that ends up being the impediment to us receiving those “larger” things in life. If only you would learn not to “sweat the big stuff” you would find those things flowing to you more easily and effortlessly.

What I am saying here is that the emotional attitude of attachment functions as a type of resistance or dam to your highest good flowing to you. If you understand that, as human beings, we function like magnets that magnetize things to us based on our predominant emotional attitude or vibrational frequency. Thus, all that I am really saying is that the emotion of attachment is a lower vibrational frequency, and therefore attracts to you lower vibrational experiences. Going back to the example from my own life of being able to manifest “small” things into my life easily, this is simply because the emotion of attachment is seldom present in my envisioning of these things coming into my life. Whereas, in attempting to manifest those larger things into my life, there is again, there sense of attachmen to the outcome because of the illusion of grandeur. That is, there is a great illusion within human beings, one that I have often succumbed to myself, that somethings are grand and others, small. In truth, all experiences are equal in the eyes of the Creator, and thus, will be granted onto us without discrimination, provided that we ourselves, learn to not discriminate between some things we have taught are small, and those things that we are taught are large.

The best way to illustrate this would be in that grand source of discrimination in our society, which is material wealth. This is not so much a sociological point that I am trying to make as much as a spiritual point. For example, we have taught to believe that there is a real difference between the awe of possessing a penny and the awe of possession one billion dollars, when, in fact, both of these extremes are but the contrast of experience available to us all on this plane of relative truth(i.e., the plane where we come to experience the absolute unity of all by experiencing the illusion of diversity of experience). In truth, all experiences are empty, with none of them being lasting or with substance. That is why the great Buddhist sages say that all is appearance-emptiness. In time, the entire range of experience will be known to you, and you witness as they all appear and then dissolve, only to appear and dissolve again, thus demonstrating all phenomena as empty of real substance.

So, when it comes to manifesting the “big” things in life, it is actually quite simple once you come to understand the empty nature of it, as well as the inherent emptiness of everything else. Once you come to understand that, you will literally come to order (your wish is my command) all the most grand experiences this Universe could ever offer with the ease, detachment, and sense of nonchalance which you would order a meal at a fast food restaurant. “I’ll have an order of a billion dollars, a gorgeous wife, a huge mansion, the most stylish car ever made, and all the other trappings of a king, please.” And the genie in a bottle that is the YOUniverse will certainly deliver this fast food to you in an instant. This is the true nature of the Universe. When we are told of the mythical tale of Aladdin and the genie in a bottle, we are being given a glimpse into the true nature of life. Life is such that all that we command (intend) will flow onto us in accordance with our belief. If we believe that some things take a long time to manifest, they will; if we believe that some things will manifest in a short amount of time, they will. Thus, the key to solving the problem of prolonged time in the manifestation of your desires is to let go of the delusion that some experiences are large and small. I say to you that all experience is inconsequential, appearing and dissolving in the blink of an eye, and thus you can call any of them (from a penny to a billion dollars) forth with out any effort whatsoever, and know that it will manifest because the Universe is indeed our genie in a bottle, granting onto us whatever it is we desire.

The way in which to apply this knowledge to your life is to write out a list of things you would like to have in your life is simply to write out everything you want in your life, in the form of “ it is my intention to…” (e.g. it is my intention to be a millionaire within one year of today) and state that intention to the Universe one time, and one time only. Sometimes, when people intend to experience certain things, they state that intent over and over again to the Universe, as if having experienced the things they intend to experience happen yet, they act as if the Universe did not hear them the first time. When, in fact, you only need to state your desire to the Universe one time, as unlike us, it is pure consciousness, ever alert, ever attentive, and thus, could never miss even a single thought we have impressed upon it. The Universe that we live in is fully aware and can act on the intention we impress upon it, the very moment we impress it upon it. Much like a lot of soil, we only need plant the seed in the soil one time (and not continue to dig up that seed and check on its progress or attempt to supplant that seed with some other seed) and the Universe will do the rest, nurturing and nourishing the seed into its fruition.

So, write out the list of intentions that you have for your entire life, read those intentions out loud to the Universe one time, and then let go, and let the nourishing soil of Spirit do the rest. Surely, that which you ask for will be bestowed upon you as it is spiritual law that dictates, “ask and ye shall receive.” And, of course, it is the dictates of that grand genie in a bottle that we call the Universe that your wish is its command.

Related Posts

• No related posts

19 Comments »

1. I like your presentation of this material.
    The way you describe this has a lot of similarities with what Ramana Maharshi taught, though on the surface that is absurd as he was anything but “prosperous”, and died of cancer in 1950, living as a sage in India. I recommend checking him out.

The idea that the wold is inside us, instead of us being inside the world, is a very deep idea, calling into question our whole sense of identity (“who do you think you are?”).

Anyway, I wish there was a way to exchange some emails, because I would like to have a (email) conversation with you Kevin. You strike home with what you say in a way that I have not felt in others who make a living selling these ideas.

John

Comment by John K. — July 23, 2007 @ 12:46 am

2. You have been tagged for The Personal Development List. (See my site for details), I would love to have you participate.

Comment by Priscilla Palmer — August 24, 2007 @ 10:29 pm

3. Kevin

You’ve been tagged for the “Does Most Leadership Suck Challenge”. Check the link for details.

Take care…

JWM

Comment by John W. McKenna — September 5, 2007 @ 9:44 am

4. After Priscilla Palmer’s self development list my friend Jenny and I have decided to try to help build the self development community as well with a little contest. I would like to invite you to find out more details at Win a $25 Gift Certificate.

Comment by Erin — September 6, 2007 @ 1:35 am

5. Off topic……………….
    I believe that by just being a part of “Priscilla Palmer’s Personal Development list” suggests that each of us post this list. You like me (Killeris at “Attitude, the Ultimate Power”) are on this list. If you have already posted it, THANK YOU. If you have not posted it, I am officially putting out a challenge that you add additional sites that fit the theme and post the entire list. This is my opinion only. If you disagree I respectfully understand. If you do agree with me this list can be found at:

Comment by Mel — September 11, 2007 @ 10:16 pm

6. Kevin..I am a fellow Personal Development List colleague. I love this post of yours. This has happened with me several times( casual desires always manifest whereas the attached obsessed desires never show up) Thanks for this brilliant post…I have bookmarked and subscribed…keep the knowledge coming :)

Biggs

Comment by Biggs — September 25, 2007 @ 3:53 am

7. How very interesting it is – the way in which one finds certain links sites on the web; I wasent actually looking for this one – I just came across it …so serendipity reigns for me.
    You have a very broad range of thought Piggling, and I like the way you approach things – the only ‘downside’ I found was the ” surround yourself with happy people and you will be happy” – this is – for me – rather a hollow and very shallow thought.
    How, after all, are we to know that these seemingly happy, smiling creatures are not ( in reality) broken to bits inside…? We all wear our masks in the world and then of course, there is the whole vast range of concious and unconcious process going on- But….I think yiou think deep and its interesting – as your poetry is very much a reflection of this – hence, it is intresting and definately not for the mass market – which is, as you know – the best compliment one can get. You’re rather exclusive Piggling and thats a nice thing.
    smiles across the miles,
    Linda B.

Comment by portobelloprincess — October 3, 2007 @ 8:41 pm

8. Hi Kevin,

Nice post. This is something that I struggle with. I tend to think about results rather than the journey, I guess. I tend to think about the outcome and when it doesn’t happen I get frustrated. Recently I been working on releasing my intentions into the Universe and letting go. This is what I needed to read today. Positive reinforcement. Thanks!

Comment by Quoteguy — October 6, 2007 @ 9:55 pm

9. As the second one to the third one because neither of us are the first Kevin Kinchen to post this stuff on the internet; the good pastor in Florida is a fundamentalist I think and this is, I don’t know. I am neither however but yet a poet and a philosopher none the same. I find this interesting but blanketed with false hope over the belief that actions are less necessary then belief. There was a farmer that pictured a baseball field in his back yard every day. He visualized it whole heartedly and prayed and prayed. He died on that farm. There never was a baseball field. There was another farmer who visualized an empire of fried chicken stores. He visualized it each and every day as well. While he fried chicken and saved money and made commercials and contacted agents and expanded his offices and shaved profits for improvements, he got educated, went to school, managed conglomerates and now he is dead. Oh but there is an empire of Kentucky fried Chicken’s across the globe. I wonder what that was all about. Maybe in the words of Elvis; A little less conversation a lot more action, was all he needed.

Comment by Kevin Kinchen — October 13, 2007 @ 6:04 pm

10. I like what you’re doing with your blog. Keep up the awesome work. Great Post!

Love & Gratitude,
    Tina
    Think Simple. Be Decisive.
    ~ Productivity, Motivation & Happin

Comment by Tina Su — October 30, 2007 @ 10:20 pm

11. Kevin,

You’ve been silent here for a long time. Just wandering by, thinking about and looking for you.

Comment by Phil — December 22, 2007 @ 3:05 am

12. Hi Kev,
    Great post it has really inspired me. I’ve recently been studying the Secret by Rhonda Byrne and it asks you to do the opposite which is constantly visualize the outcome. Basically it’s constantly thinking and acting as if what you’ve asked for is already granted. It takes alot of emotion and thought and it leaves me all the more frustrated when the thing I want does not manifest. I guess because I viewed it as something great. I will try your way of doing things which is treat all my requests the same and let you know how it goes. At the end of it all I guess I maybe just a bit impatient.

Comment by Christine — March 13, 2008 @ 5:37 pm

13. Thank you for this my frend, i see the benefits for us all in this column. Cosimc mind is very big and there is too little of us,and if someone thinks otherwise than this is only one state of mind and one point of view.
    I never read abouth this earlier and this was my first time to see that somebody wrote this.. any way this is true.

Comment by grom777 — April 22, 2008 @ 7:15 pm

14. I could not agree more with this post. I have found the “letting go” to be the second most important part of receiving what you want. I suppose this is the part of The Secret where they say that you should act like you already have it (acting like you already have it means you are no longer hoping to receiving it so it is detaching yourself from the outcome).

Just two days ago my parents asked me what I wanted for graduation as a gift. I did not want anything. I went to the gym at my apartment complex and I thought that perhaps I should ask for cookies, although it occurred to me that would be a strange grad gift to ask for. I did not think about it again nor cared about trying to ask for them again. Ten minutes later when I went to my apartment there was a basket of cookies sitting at my door sent from a friend to congratulate me. She did not know I liked cookies and I had not seen her in a year.

But things like finding the love of your life or making a billion dollars we think are difficult and long tasks so we actually focus on them too much. Letting go changes everything….

Comment by Jon Z — May 19, 2008 @ 8:37 pm

15. thank you very much … worth reading

and i will surely make it a point that i write out the list of intentions,read those out loud to the Universe one time, and then let go, and let the nourishing soil of Spirit do the rest. …thanks that will surely feal better…

Comment by Law of attraction — July 5, 2008 @ 5:01 am

16. Nice post, you got some good points there – thank you.

Comment by Import from China — July 22, 2008 @ 4:03 am

17. I found the attatchment part to be so true in my life…
    There’s this girl I love, and I intended that she call me after she was asleep because I was missing her – and no matter how hard I intended, she didn’t call. Then I realized, that by wanting so badly that she call, I was also intending the state of being frantic, the state of her-not-calling!

At another time, I set out an intention where I thought the outcome wouldn’t really matter at all – but I would be very happy if it happened the way I wanted it to. And it came true!

Maybe intention required both an intense desire and detachment (releasing that desire without asking again and again – has it come true?)

Thank you for your post. :)

Comment by Meghashyam Chirravoori — November 3, 2009 @ 3:08 am

18. I have been learning about the law of attraction and found out about a movie called, ” how thoughts become things” I am very impressed with the clip and the website. I am now interested to learn more about this film and neuroscience. Can anyone share more about this. Her is the website http://www.howthoughtsbecomethings.com

Comment by Martin — July 13, 2010 @ 2:34 am

19. I thought you would find this very interesting considering the power of thought and intention.

From The movie How Thoughts Become Things